Daytona Beach Shores, FL - A pair of workers are recovering from burns following a fire this morning on the motorized scaffold they were using outside a Daytona Beach Shores condominium building.
The Daytona Beach Shores Department of Public Safety says it happened around 10:21am Wednesday on the 17th floor of the Oceans West One condominium on State Road A1A.
Sergeant Bill Frank tells WNDB they’re not quite sure how the fire started at this point, but they believe the spark came from the motor used to raise and lower the scaffold.
“All we know is that it ignited the [cleaning] materials they were working with,” Frank added. “The workers actually had to jump from the scaffolding onto a balcony on the 17th floor to escape the blaze.”
The clothes the workers were using also apparently caught fire, leaving both men with burns to parts of their body.
One of those workers was treated at the scene, while the other was taken to the hospital for treatment of those burns and for smoke inhalation, according to Frank.
As for the fire, Frank said rescue crews managed to keep that mostly contained to the scaffolding.
“Some of the material did drop to the ground, which caused a minor brush fire at the ground level directly underneath,” Frank added. “It was extinguished with a garden hose.”
No other injuries were reported.
Copyright 2013 Southern Stone Communications.
Category: WNDB Latest