Chief: Officer's Status Remains Unchanged, Manhunt Continues

$100,000 reward still stands for suspect's capture

Posted

UPDATE: A GoFundMe page has been set up for injured Daytona Beach police officer Jason Raynor. Click here to check out the page.

Daytona Beach, FL - Multiple law enforcement agencies, including those at the federal level, continue the manhunt for a 29-year-old man accused of shooting and seriously wounding a Daytona Beach police officer.

At a press conference Thursday afternoon (June 24), Daytona Beach Police Chief Jakari Young says the status of the officer—who has now been identified as 26-year-old Jason Raynor—remains unchanged from his last reported condition earlier that morning.

"Really no real change in the officer's status," said Chief Young. "He's fighting, and we all are praying."

Raynor, who has only been with the Daytona Beach Police Department (DBPD) for about two years, was conducting a patrol near the area of Kingston Street when he approached Othal Wallace, who was sitting in a vehicle. After making contact with him, Wallace turn around and shot at Officer Raynor, who was struck in the head by a bullet. He was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center for emergency surgery. Chief Young stated that his condition improved following the surgery, but the officer still remains in a critical state.

According to Chief Young, Raynor was first hired by the DBPD in February of 2019. Before that, Raynor was an officer with the Port Orange Police Department from October 2016 to February 2019. Raynor has no wife or children, but Chief Young says his mother and sister have been by his side since the incident occurred.

"They are truly troopers," said Chief Young.

A vigil was also held at the hospital where Raynor is currently recovering earlier that day which featured several law enforcement officers from around the area, including former Daytona Beach Police Chief Craig Capri, who is now the Chief of Police for Eustis.

At present, not many details can still be provided about the investigation as law enforcement continues the manhunt for Wallace, which now includes the US Marshals Service. While officials could not provide any details that would compromise the integrity of the investigation, Chief Young stated that police have been monitoring social media feeds since the incident. 

"I can tell you we are monitoring all social media," said Chief Young to reporters. "There is nothing that's been posted that we haven't seen."

Chief Young also stated he is aware of a Facebook profile for an individual by the name of "O-Zone Wallace" that authorities are monitoring at this time. A brief glance of the page shows an outpouring of support for the individual, but investigators have not confirmed that this page belongs to Wallace. When asked about reports of possible sightings, Chief Young stated that he did not want to share any information that could be an investigative lead.

However, according to a post from FOX 5 in Atlanta, Georgia, investigators said Wallace's supposed getaway vehicle, a 2016 Honda HRV with a California tag of 7TNX532, was last "pinged" in Stockbridge, Georgia, a city southeast of Atlanta.

A search of Wallace's name in the Volusia County Branch Jail database indicates that he has been booked and processed at the jail nine times between 2012 and 2019. His charges have ranged from battery, to driving with a suspended or revoked license, to aggravated battery of a pregnant person.

A $100,000 reward is also in the mix for information leading to Wallace's capture. Wallace should be considered armed and dangerous. The DBPD has activated its Emergency Operations Center because of this incident. Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact an operator by calling 386-671-5555. Additionally, you can call your local law enforcement agency or contact 911.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here