Three Arrested During Daytona Motel Raid


Daytona Beach, FL - The Daytona Beach Police Department's (DBPD) Problem Oriented Policing unit (POP) makes three arrests after a raid on a motel that police have called a "nuisance property," making this the second raid of its kind this month.

Once an arrest warrant was obtained by investigators, members of DBPD's POP and SWAT units arrived at the Best Southern Sun Plaza Motel Sunday afternoon (December 13th). As a result of the search warrant, three people—63-year-old Dennis Kindziera, a manager on the property, 28-year-old Erica Mulcahy, and 69-year-old Frederick Hoffman, the owner of the hotel—were arrested and two firearms were seized, along with various kinds of narcotics.

Investigators note that the guns and drugs—which included marijuana, methamphetamine and MDMA, were found alongside both real and fake currency, ammunition and multiple different types of drug paraphernalia found in a room belonging to Mulcahy. Mulcahy was also found and arrested in the room, charged with four felony and two misdemeanor counts.

“This motel has been a popular spot for drug users looking to purchase narcotics,” said Captain Scott Lee, who also oversees the POP Unit. “We’ve received all kinds of complaints about the Sun Plaza for quite some time from people who live in the area. It was time to do something about it.”

Lee added that it was clear both Hoffman and Kindziera knew about the property being a haven for drugs and neither one of them did anything about it.

“We won’t tolerate property owners or managers who let this kind of behavior slide.”

Both Hoffman and Kindziera face a felony charge of keeping a public nuisance structure for drug activity. Mulcahy will also face that same charge, along with three counts of drug possession, including one charge for intent to sell. In addition to those charges, Mulcahy is also charged with resisting an officer and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Earlier this month, the DBPD also raided another nuisance property, the Camellia Motel, and took seven suspects into custody.