Vehicular Homicide Suspect Caught Driving Again After DUI, Bond Revoked


UPDATE: According to an email from the State Attorney's Office, Jarron Cunningham's bond has been revoked as a result of his most recent arrest. He remains in custody at the Volusia County Branch Jail.

Earlier reporting below.

Port Orange, FL - Police say the man accused of racing another driver just before a fatal crash in South Daytona was caught driving after their license had already been suspended for driving under the influence.

19-year-old Jarron Cunningham is one of two racers who were arrested following the crash that claimed the life of Gregory Greer, a Port Orange man who was riding in an Uber at the time of his death in February. Greer's Uber was hit by 18-year-old Eric Marens, who was racing Cunningham just prior to the crash at speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Per the Volusia County Clerk of Courts, Cunningham is facing charges of vehicular homicide, racing on a highway, and reckless driving with damage to a person or property as a result of that incident.

According to court documents obtained by News Daytona Beach, Cunningham was additionally arrested for DUI back in March.

In that case, officers with the Port Orange Police Department (POPD) were called to a McDonalds off Clyde Morris Boulevard on March 24 after law enforcement learned of a driver that was slumped over their vehicle, possibly vomiting. When police arrived, they made contact with Cunningham, who said he was at a friends house and had recently been drinking.

While being questioned, Cunningham reportedly told officers that he had consumed half a pint of one vodka and an unknown amount of another vodka. Cunningham also added that he should not have been drinking, as he had work the next day.

Officers then conducted two breathalyzers tests. One test measured 0.106 and the other 0.105, both well over the legal limit of 0.08. Cunningham was later placed under arrest for DUI. Court records show he bonded later that day. As a result of the DUI, Cunningham's license was suspended.

On Saturday (April 17), Port Orange police pulled over Cunningham again after officers found that one of his rear tail lights was not working. After checking his registration, the officer learned that Cunningham's license was suspended because of the aforementioned DUI, leading to Cunningham's recent arrest.

Cunningham now remains in custody at the Volusia County Branch Jail.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment