Palm Coast, FL - A man who the Flagler County Sheriff's Office says is charged with Unlawful Sexual Activity with Certain Minors is in custody in Miami-Dade County. A 17-year-old juvenile who is disabled told deputies that 29-year-old Jonathan Santiago sexually battered her earlier this year.
Deputies responded to the Palm Coast home where the victim resides on January 30, 2020. A forensic interview was conducted by the Florida First Coast Child Protection Team. During the interview, the victim gave further detail on the incident, saying again that they were sexually battered. Using investigative techniques, admissions of guilt were obtained from Santiago.
Investigators got a warrant for Santiago, charging him with Unlawful Sexual Activity with Certain Minors and a bond of $50,000. Yesterday, (July 22) FCSO got in contact with the Miami Gardens Police Department’s Crisis Response Team (CRT), who attempted to serve the warrant at Santiago's residence. An elderly aunt told them that the suspect was not at home. They conducted surveillance on the residence for about 30 minutes when Santiago was seen coming out of the residence and attempting to flee the area. He did not get away and was arrested.
“This brave victim came forward and reported what happened and if not for that we would not have been able to help,” Sheriff Rick Staly said. “It took a lot of courage to do that and I commend them for seeking help. I also want to thank the Miami Gardens Police Department for their assistance with this case and in the capture of this fugitive. Let this be a warning to criminals, it doesn’t matter if you flee to the next city, across the state, or across the country, we will come and find you and arrest you. Justice has no boundaries!”
Santiago remains in the Miami-Dade County Jail.