DeLand, FL - The county will be unveiling a new state historical marker for the now 90-year-old Volusia County Historic Courthouse.
And a second identical marker will be placed at the New York Avenue entrance.
Completed in 1929 for a grand total of $500,000, the Volusia County Courthouse was described as "one of the most beautiful county administration buildings in the South," according to the county.
The courthouse features fluted Corinthian columns, vaulted arches, marble staircases and its distinct copper-clad dome.
It's dedication ceremony back on November 18th, 1929, was attended by more than 3,000 locals who enjoyed concerts from the Stetson University Orchestra and the DeLand Concert Band and a circus performance provided by the Johnny J. Jones show.
In 1987, the Volusia County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Downtown DeLand Historic District.
The county also completed a restoration project in 2005, restoring the popular landmark.
The Volusia County Council is set to unveil the marker at 12:30 p.m. this afternoon (April 16th). Speakers will include retired Circuit Judge Edwin P.B. Sanders, County Chair Ed Kelley and Historic Preservation Board Member Zach Zacharias.
After the ceremony, volunteers from the Museum of Art in DeLand and the Seventh Judicial Circuit will conduct tours of the courthouse with emphasis on the artwork, architecture and the original courtroom.